April 23rd

theresa albert - my friend in food

Best Breakfast Ever!

gregg muesli

Here is the recipe that all of the Ace Bloggers are talking about. The Ace of Spades. When I created the formula, er, recipe for the Magic Muesli, I chose the most highly nourishing foods I could think of, mixed them together and made them taste terrific.

This recipe is the cornerstone of my book Ace Your Health, 52 Ways to Stack Your Deck for a darned good reason. Combining these ingredients into a simple, delicious meal that can be made ahead and enjoyed in seconds just make sense in the speed of life! The right breakfast sets your blood sugar level for the day which means you will have more even energy and prevent that afternoon crash.  You need about 10 grams of fibre and 10 grams of protein to set you on the right path. Each and every food in here plays a specific role:

Plain low fat yogurt (promotes bowel health)

If you can buy organic, even better. The probiotics in yogurt help set up the good bacteria in the gut. You can’t digest food without them and your immune system can’t function properly either.

Grated apple (phytonutrients)

The skin of an apple has loads of nutrients and the pulp contains pectin which will lower your cholesterol.

Oats (lowers cholesterol)

We don’t even have to cook rolled oats, simply stir them in and let them absorb some of the water that the fruits give up. Oats contain beta glucans which are an immune enhancing carbohydrate. The soluble fibre will help move cholesterol out of your system

Almonds (calcium and protein)

Nuts are high in good fats, minerals and protein. Almonds are also a good source of calcium for strong bones.

White Chia (Salba) (high in fibre)

Powerhouse little seeds that contain both types of fibre PLUS many of the minerals that the rest of our food may be missing. These babies will help control blood sugar and inflammatory markers and are a truly amazing food. You want to get a tablespoon per day which will help you feel full and turn off those hunger messages. Work your way up with these guys, if you haven’t been eating much fibre, your body will need to learn to process it.

Frozen Blueberries (phenolics; enhance memory)

Berries rank highly on the ORAC scale which is a measurement of the anti-oxidant value of foods. The frozen ones are always available and they get mushy in the mixture making it a pretty blue color!

Hemp Seeds (protein; eco-friendly)

Nature’s perfect protein containing all the amino acids of animal protein and none of the saturated fats. The good fat in these seeds is a type called GLA which is hormone regulating and very hard to get through other dietary sources.

Ground Cinnamon (lowers blood pressure)

This tree bark isn’t only delicious, it is blood pressure regulating and cancer fighting. I mean, come on! Don’t hate her ‘cause she is beautiful!

There is nothing in this breakfast that isn’t working for you, and HARD! Feel free to make a triple or quadruple batch and store it for 3-4 days. It will keep nicely and your mornings will go much more smoothly. Can’t take a minute to eat it? Put it in a blender and drink it. No excuses!

Magic Muesli     (Servings: 2)

You’ll understand the magic by the third day, pinky swear!
Preparation time: 6 minutes

½ cup plain, low-fat yogurt

1 apple, grated*

1 tbsp uncooked oatmeal

1 tbsp slivered almonds

1 tbsp white chia seeds (see King of Spades)

½ cup frozen blueberries

¼ cup hulled hemp seeds (see King of Spades)

1 tsp ground cinnamon

* or ½ cup unsweetened applesauce

Mix all of the ingredients together and you will have the right amount of protein (about 10 grams), fibre and nutrients to set you up for the day. Serve immediately or cover and keep remaining portion(s) in fridge up to 3 days.

Theresa Albert

Theresa Albert

As a Toronto Nutritionist, I love food, try to watch my weight, know more than I want to about healthy living (sometimes I wish I knew less so I wouldn’t feel so guilty when I stumble), am a daughter, sister, friend, mom and wife who worries and scurries the meals onto the table. It is for all these reasons that I completed my nutrition, RNCP designation, wrote my book, hosted my Food Network show, consult with food companies to urge them to get it right (or at least better), constantly write about it, research it, all of this so I can cut through the nutrition and food “news” clutter. Happy to share with friends!

8 Responses

January 29, 2011 at 11:18 am Reply

Excellent! Thank you! Can’t wait to try it.

Carol
    March 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm Reply

This seemed like a decent modification to a muesli recipe that I have been using for several years. But sorry, it was not in any way delicious or even palatable in my opinion. I will take the chia and hemp and add them to my recipe to gain their benefit but otherwise … there is just something missing in yours. Have to be honest!

March 26, 2011 at 8:51 am Reply

We LOVE museli, but when looking at this recipe, we are confused about only 1 TBSP uncooked oatmeal? Also wondering where we can get the Chia seeds?

May 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm Reply

I’ve never liked muesli but I decided to give this a try and WOW! I really really like it! Best of all is that it keeps me full for a much longer time than my previous favourite breakfast of high fiber cereal and fruit. Thanks for a great recipe!

Paul
    October 8, 2011 at 7:23 am Reply

Great recipe, but how would it compare nutritionally to a bowl of Dorset brand muesli taken with half cup blueberries and milk ? Dorset brand appears to be low sugar and high in nuts, grains and raisins , sultanas. Thanks.

June 28, 2013 at 7:35 pm Reply

{ {Great|Excellent} news, {1|}just {got|finished up} a jumbo mortgage so I {can get|have} that cup of coffee with a {politician|pro athlete!

|what are jumbo loan rates.
    |{Instead of|Forget about getting} a {JUMBO|jumbo} {loan|mortgage}, {aim
    for|qualify for} the highest conforming limit and {put|slap} the rest on a HELOC.
    {Avoid|Sidestep those} jumbo {guidelines|rules} that want more {liquid|cash} reserves and {include|usually have} higher interest rates.
    .…

|High cost areas are listed mostly by FHA standards as to what the maximum amount they will
    lend in a area based on the high and low cost of
    homes in any one area. . . To find out if you reside in a
    high cost area you should google high mortgage areas.

This will bring you to a site that will guide you to a site by adding
    your zip code which will indicate if you are in a high cost area or not.
    . . . I hope this has been of some benefit to you,
    good luck.. . . “FIGHT ON”
    |It might be {hard refi-ing a jumbo loan|difficult refinancing a jumbo mortgage} these days.
    . . {Getting additional|Access to} cash out {might be impossible|coudl prove to be fruitless} and
    a {very bad idea|terrible idea} to begin with.
    |Get out there in front of realtors, home improvement companies, insurance agents,
    etc… and earn referrals from them. Go to trade shows, local
    chamber of commerce meetings and such as well.
    |One {tends to follow|typically follows} the other.
    When {regular|conventional|traditional} residential rates start to go up, jumbo and
    commercial rates will go up {accordingly|as well}.

|Last rate cut won’t really affect your refinancing, but interest rates on mortgage refinance are extremely low now anyway, so it may be in your best interest to refinance.
    |It sounds like a marketing gimmick. Either the loan is conforming, non-conforming, or jumbo. New products enter the market every day so it is always worth reading the fine print to see if this is a break-thru product.
    |If {jumbo loans are NOT availble|jumbo mortgage are hard to get} then {it would mean people who cannot afford that expensive house with|borrowers who don’t have} a {big|substantial} down
    payment will have to {settle for something cheaper|purchase a smaller home}

|How {can anyone|do people} afford {real estate|homes|these
    mansions} in {San Francisco|San Diego|Santa Monica|Paradise Valley, AZ|Mercer Island|bel Air||Pacific Palisades|Marin County|Manhattan|NYC|La Jolla, CA|Corona del Mar|California}?

|{Looking for|Searching for|I am in need of|Realtor seeking}
    {well known|a solid and established} jumbo {mortgage|} lenders in {AZ|CA|CO|WA|OR|Hawaii}.
    Need to find {lowest|best} jumbo mortgage rate. Can {someone|anybody} help?

|I’m looking to try and {find|secure} {a low|the best} rate on a jumbo mortgage in {california|SoCal. If anyone can {provide|give me} some {feedback|tips} on jumbo {mortgage|loan} rates in {CA|NorCal|SoCal|San Diego} I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!.
    |what is a jumbo mortgage and is it a good {option|choice} for purchasing a {house|home}?

|looking to compare traditional mortgage rates to jumbo mortgage rates.

|”The jumbo mortgage market traditionally has been a very profitable part of the mortgage market with low default rates,” he (Treasury Secretary Paulson) said in written testimony.
    “For that reason, it seems logical that this market will right itself in the weeks and months ahead. Therefore, consideration … should be limited to a provision that is temporary and is part of legislation strengthen the regulatory structure.”.
    . OK, tell me…what underlying premise is
    flawed in this assumption?.
    |How many middle class people would it take to purchase this home if they pooled
    their funds ?
    |Any good mortgage lender in DC and Virginia?
    |Hi,. . Im looking for some really good mortgage brokers in {DC and or Virginia|the northeast|Boston|New
    Jersey|new York}. Better is if they deal in jumbo {mortgage|home}
    loans.. If you know anyone, please, {let me know|get in touch with me}!
    |{How can I find out”Where online do I go to see} if my city {qualifies|is eligible} as a “high-cost” area for “conforming jumbo” {interest|mortgage} rates?
    |I want to refinance a house but it’s not worth it unless I can get a “conforming jumbo” mortgage instead of a “jumbo”. Where can I find out if my area qualifies? Is there a published set of maps, or zip code information? This seems like such an obvious question, yet several searches have turned up nothing, almost as if this is embargoed information of some sort..
    |What questions should you ask your mortgage broker or lender when applying for a mortgage?…. Such as {fees|costs}, points, {prepayment|prepay penalties}, {appraisal|title insurance}, and so on…
    |How do I {get my PMI removed|remove mortgage insurance|get rid of MI} from my mortgage?
    |I {want|woud like} to {Refinance|refi} and go from {a jumbo loan|our current jumbo size} to a {standard|conventional|conforming} loan?
    |What is the difference between a conforming mortgage loan and a jumbo mortgage loan?
    |I {am new to|just got into} the Mortgage industry, what are some {ways|methods|techniques} to {generate|create|get} new business?
    |What is the {maximum|highest} mortgage amount you can borrow on a home these days?
    |Which is {a good|the best} {forum|place online|website} to {discuss the|learn about} deals on mortgage rates and are there any good deals right now?
    |I am looking for a place online where people {discuss|talk about} the {different deals|various loan programs} offered by the banks. Are there any current good deals on mortgages?.
    |Will jumbo mortgage rates {jump|go up} when the Fed stops buying Mortgage-backed securities?
    |Your thoughts on the special deal that the Obamas got on their jumbo mortgage-was this fair?
    |How do I {know|find out} if jumbo mortgage loans are available {in my area|where I live}?
    |Is anyone planning to refinanace their home since rates {have gone down|are so low}?
    |I am not in the mortgage crisis. I bought a home that I could afford. Yes, the {right|proper} way to buy a home..
    |How to {choose|pick} the {correct|proper} type of Mortgage and Terms of Loan?
    |{How expensive of a|What’s the highest price} house can I afford?
    |{How do I|what is the best way to} {lower|reduce} the {mortgage|interest} rate on a jumbo loan?
    |Can I take two conforming loans for {a single|one} property?
    |{How Should I Figure Out If|What is a good indicator that} I Should {Refinance|Refi} My Jumbo {Mortgage|Loan}?
    |I {am looking|want} to refinance {within a year|in the next 12 months}..
    |How do I Modificate my Jumbo loan from Wells Fargo?
    |I am {doing|involved in} {a loan modification|modifying my loan} with {citi mortgage|chase|US Bank|B of A|Wells Fargo} {due to|because of} a {necessary|horrible} divorce. How do they {figure out what|calculate the} interest?
    |Want to know what interest rate they will give me and how do they calculate it?.
    |When will Fanny mae change the {mortgage|mortgage interest} rates for jumbo {mortgages|loans}?
    |Does it make sense that no matter how high a mortgage is the Interest rate is the same?
    |Let me clear things up. Isn’t there more of a risk involved in lending out more money and therefore there should be a higher interest rate? I’m {a senior in high school|still in high school|a freshman in college} if that {gives you an idea how to explain it to me|helps you to explain it better}..
    |Is High Conforming Loan same thing as Jumbo {Loan?|mortgage}
    |What {percentage do you need down|down payment percent is needed} for a jumbo loan {these days|nowadays}?
    |Is it true That to qualifiy for jumbo loan, I had to prove income and have good score, if not than am I stuck?
    |Which {lender|mortgage company} has easy home {refi|refinance} terms in {Los Angeles|Orange County|San Diego|Scottsdale|Paradise Valley|Seattle|Bellevue} ?
    |Is getting a mortgage this hard for everyone?
    |Can you refinance a jumbo loan into a combo loan to {eliminate|get rid of} {pmi|mortgage insurance} and the higher jumbo rate?
    |Will the {monthly|mortgage} payment be lower if Our {fico|credit} scores are {excellent|760 plus}…?
    |We are in California and our purchase agreement states, “the loan contingency shall remain in effect until
    the loans are funded”. We are thinking of backing out. Would we get our good faith deposit back? . . The bank approved us for the loan, but the {loan officer said that he made a mistake|said he made an error} and {“locked” us in for a conforming loan amount|put us on a conforming loan}, whereas, we needed a jumbo loan. We {suspect foul play|believe they just screwed up} and don’t think he {knows about|is aware of} our loan contingency…..
    |Do you have to have a down payment to {take out|get} a {home|mortgage|residential} loan?
    |What is a considered a {super|jumbo} {loan|mortgage}?
    |Do closing costs count in this balance?
    |{Are there mortgage companies|Is there a lender} that will {give|offer} a jumbo {refi|refinance} to {someone|a borrower} with a new {job|career|profession}?

Wow, {amazing|wonderful|awesome|incredible|marvelous|superb|fantastic} blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you {make|made} blogging look easy. The overall look of your {site|web site|website} is {great|wonderful|fantastic|magnificent|excellent}, {let alone|as well as} the content!|
    Wow, {amazing|wonderful|awesome|incredible|marvelous|superb|fantastic} {blog|weblog} {layout|format|structure}! How {long|lengthy} {have you|have you ever} been {blogging|running a blog} for? you {make|made} {blogging|running a blog} {glance|look} easy. {The total|The entire|The whole|The full|The overall} {glance|look} of your {site|web site|website} is {great|wonderful|fantastic|magnificent|excellent}, {let alone|as {smartly|well|neatly} as} the {content|content material}!
    }

September 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm Reply

Terrific article! This is the type of information that are meant to be shared across the web.
    Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this submit upper!
    Come on over and talk over with my web site . Thank you =)