How to acheive my dream of sand and sail
My Journey through Ace Your Health, The King of Diamonds
My husband and I have been called many things – frugal, tight fisted, cheapos, tight wads, money pinchers.
I call us smart.
You see, we make it our goal to save money. And we do it in most of the ways Theresa recommends. But before I go any further, let me say a few things in our defense. We do not skimp on paying our portion of the bill. We are generous tippers. We buy new when we want. We do not go without. You see Tim grew up with a saying, “watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.” I subscribe to that philosophy too. And as a result, we know where our money goes, where we can cut back and when we can go lavish.
So, in the past week – here is how we have saved money. And these fixes were barely felt in the pocket book (in fact, on Friday night we treated ourselves to a babysitter and a glorious meal of Korean tofu soup and a plate of dumplings at one of our favourite restaurants before we went to the movies).
1. I bought my organic meat from the sale bin and froze what was not used immediatley
2. I bought vegetables from the 30% off rack and made a wonderful soup that I gave to an ill friend
3. We cut off our cable and now use an HDTV antenna
4. We changed internet providers (and got more bang for our buck)
5. We turned the heat down during the day and night times
6. We emptied our own eaves-troughs, raked our own lawn and cleaned our own home
7. We ate at home 6 nights this past week – 1 meal of beans, 1 meal of tofu, 2 chicken meals, 1 leftovers, 1 pasta sauce made fresh
8. I joined the library system
9. We parked one car for the entire weekend
Why did we do all this? Well, because it is a challenge and also because we are going South next year. Tim and I are saving for a trip to sail (with the kids) in the Caribbean. A dream we have both had since the day we met.
But lastly, we do this stuff regularly because we believe in it. We believe in saving, in not overspending, in cutting corners where they can be cut. We believe in spending too – trust me. But not on everything!
Copyright 2015 All Rights Reserved.