October 1st

theresa albert - my friend in food

Magic Muesli

(Servings: 2)

The “go to” recipe for getting back on track! As the cornerstone of my book Ace Your Health where I outline why breakfast is the most important meal of the day, this is one lovin’ spoonful.  It tastes great and is loaded with protein, nutrients and fibre that will set you up for a brilliant day ahead.

Preparation time: 6 minutes

½ cup plain, low-fat yogurt

1 apple, grated*

1 tbsp uncooked oatmeal

1 tbsp slivered almonds

1 tbsp white chia seeds (see King of Spades)

½ cup frozen blueberries

¼ cup hulled hemp seeds (see King of Spades)

1 tsp ground cinnamon

* or ½ cup unsweetened applesauce

Mix all of the ingredients together and you will have the right amount of protein (about 10 grams), fibre and nutrients to set you up for the day. Serve immediately or cover and keep remaining portion(s) in fridge up to 3 days.

Theresa Albert

Theresa Albert

As a Toronto Nutritionist, I love food, try to watch my weight, know more than I want to about healthy living (sometimes I wish I knew less so I wouldn’t feel so guilty when I stumble), am a daughter, sister, friend, mom and wife who worries and scurries the meals onto the table. It is for all these reasons that I completed my nutrition, RNCP designation, wrote my book, hosted my Food Network show, consult with food companies to urge them to get it right (or at least better), constantly write about it, research it, all of this so I can cut through the nutrition and food “news” clutter. Happy to share with friends!

9 Responses

July 29, 2011 at 8:38 am Reply

Magic Muesli – still , the highlight of 2011 for us!

Mary Fabiano
    October 1, 2011 at 7:57 am Reply

What is chia seed? Like the pets? Also, can I put maple syrup on it?

Wendy
    October 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm Reply

This looks fantastic! I can’t have the almonds due to a nut allergy in the family. Could I substitute another seed, or just double the hemp seeds?

Theresa Albert
      October 3, 2011 at 6:57 am Reply

You bet! Any nut will do as will doubling up on the hemp, enjoy!

Max
    January 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm Reply

So used to preparing oatmeal overnight in a slow cooker so it is ready in the morning, I do not know if I could have it any other way. But I will try a tablespoon unprepared and see how it goes.

Is there any nutritional benefit or unseen health byproduct of unprepared or uncooked porridge? Is it not good to consume too much at one sitting?

I have found overnight in a slow cooker is utterly fabulous because I can chuck in dried fruit, raw apples, walnuts, flax seed and in the morning the consistency is what really gives it an awesome texture.

You just cannot get the same result from boiling oats for 15 minutes and it makes the morning seem like a breeze with everything ready to go. Just add toast, coffee and yogurt on the side. Great segment on CTV by the way, it is how I found you here!

August 11, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply

I never knew that raw oatmeal was “good for you”. Interesting! I’m about to make this – it sounds filling, I don’t know if I’ll be able to eat it all in one batch ;) Thanks for sharing!

Colin Croxon
    January 7, 2013 at 7:58 am Reply

I just saw you on Global Morning Show.I was an egg bacon and home fry man. I was just diagnosed with a heart problem and am awaiting open heart surgery. I guess a major lifestyle change is in order. I am going to give your “Muesli” recipe a try and see how it goes.

Julie
    January 12, 2013 at 10:14 am Reply

I saw you on the Global Morning Show as well and searched the internet to find your recipe. I have tried this and LOVE IT! I have always had breakfast but found that by 10 am I was starving. This recipe is not only huge in nutrition but I feel so full and satisfied and surprisingly it is not a huge amount to eat. I was wondering if it is okay to add a bit more oatmeal? Do you have the approximate calories, fat, fibre etc/serving? Lastly, are the recipe ingredients beneficial for brain activity? Dementia is in my family and I am looking for foods to support healthy brain activity! Thanks again you have changed my life and this is coming from a very picky eater!