Goals: 1. Throw Out My TV!
Hey My Friends In Food! Whoa, it’s been a while. I did promise to stay in touch, and to be honest, I forgot. And when I do remember, I am in no position to sit and write a post. But I will try to stop by here more often and share my running tales. For now, I’ll back track a bit and share with you, something from my own blog “Beaches Runner”. It is a post that was originally inspired by Theresa Albert and I have referred back to it on occasion. This is the 2nd year I have been following Theresa’s schools of thought towards healthy living and I am definitely in more of a groove. It seems that the better I am, the better I feel and more inspired to keep at it. I have a busy schedule planned for the rest of this year and staying on track with my health habits is a must! So, here I am, back again to share with you, my Running tales.
UPDATES to my post are in bold – to follow along with
Just to clarify – I do have some resolutions, they’re just not ‘new’. These resolutions have been rehashed from earlier years and I’d like to think of them as this year’s ‘goals’. See the bottom of this post for a complete list of 2012 Resolutions, which I’d rather call, “My 2012 To Do List”.
I had already thought of writing about these when I read an article and realized that many people’s New Years Resolutions were along the same lines as mine. Same old same old but these are the resolutions that I have aspired to do, been inspired to do but let myself get sidetracked from them for various reasons. Actually, when it comes to resolutions, I do not get sidetracked from them so much as I get lazy, mentally and physically. The only time in 2011 that I put any real effort into running goals was during workouts, where I would dig down and dig down, run hard and finish strong – at all costs. But it takes more than that and I suffered by not running enough, not cross training enough, not sleeping enough and again, eating too much. ‘Nuff said.
This year, among my running resolutions I have some personal ones as well. In order to stay a well-rounded person, I have to put some focus in other aspects of my life other than running and television. So without further adieu, I publicly share my 2012 To Do List. As I mentioned, I will think not of these as being resolutions, but more like things I need to, and will, get done.
- 5k PB – Something close to the 19:00 range. I don’t fear this one but it will still need a strong effort and good timing. Especially if I hope to go under 19 minutes. Current PB is 19:42.
UPDATE, I have run 19:25 and 18:40 so far this year!
- 10k PB – Something close to the 40:00 mark. Again, I know I can get there but with a good effort and catching the right weather, stars aligning I can go under 40. Current PB is 40:49.
UPDATE: No 10Ks yet this year.
- Half Marathon PB. Under 1:30 so I can get qualify for the New York Marathon. This is the last year I can use this method to get in as the times drop for 2013 and beyond. Current PB is 1:31.
UPDATE: I have run 1:28:45 this year!
- Marathon PB. No big sub 3:10 goal this year. After last year’s marathon letdown, I will be ecstatic to run a PB if only by a second. If I do this in April, in Boston, I will attempt a more ambitious goal for a fall marathon. Current Marathon PB 3:18
No Update yet – but Boston is next week and I am hoping for some success here despite the temperatures looking to soar!
Training / Non-Racing Goals
- Run (Finish) an Ultra, enjoy it, no time goal, either (or both) 50k in June, 56k trail in July. Current Marathon PB is 3:18 –
UPDATE: Signed up for a few, 50, 56 and 100k races – gulp!!
- Cross Train More, strengthening, cardio on the bike, swimming etc.
UPDATE: Doing more strengthening workouts and is working well for me.
- Sleep more. This will benefit running and life in general.
UPDATE: definitely improved here!
- More goals are hidden at the back of my mind but these are the main ones. the rest will appear throughout the year.
Non Race Goals
- Draw, paint, photograph, create more. I miss this aspect of my life immensely and need to stop talking about it and start doing it. First steps, get supplies, set up a workspace, throw away all of our TVs!
UPDATE: Boo, missing out here….the year is still young though
- Of course, as a follow-up to Create More – I must – Watch less TV
- Smarten up and consume less fried food, fast food, sugar and alcohol. No major life changes here, just less of each. A lot less of some of those items. Caffeine remains of my ok list.
UPDATE: I have been eating very healthy all year. Feeling the benefits too.
- Volunteer for events when I can.
UPDATE: Not yet, but some are scheduled for next month and beyond.
So there you have it, my ‘goals’ for 2012. Resolutions is a fine word, but I like goals. Goal setting has worked for me in the past.
Feel free to comment, or share your goals and resolutions and updates on how you are doing with them here!